©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Friday, May 27, 2022

Harvest Moon


Beginning with a plane crash that leaves a tiny girl orphaned and working through an accident that kills his son, Gavin Robinson is in a dark hole in his soul.  When he finds that he and his ex-wife, Laurel, have been named guardians of the little girl, Emma, he has to face his past and fight for his future.  

This is the darkest, saddest book I've read in a long while, and I truly can say I only enjoyed the last quarter of the book.  The rest of the plot was overwhelmingly too sad for me.  I couldn't handle it.  The redemption of the book came in the court case very near the end of the book.  

After having read the first two books in the series, I was rooting for Gavin and his prospects for love.  I knew he was a wounded soul that needed to find his healing and to find the ONE for him.  

Denise Hunter used flashbacks as a way to build the chronology of the relationship between Gavin and Laurel.  She also dealt with dysfunctional families, the incredible heartbreak of Alzheimer's Disease, and the hopes and dreams we all have for our lives.  

One of the more aggravating scenes for me is at a family dinner when Gavin and Laurel plan to announce that they are going to seek to be named co-parents for Emma.  Before they can make their announcement, Wes and Avery announce their engagement.  After the oohs and ahhs  and congratulations are exclaimed, Gavin makes his announcement that turns Wes and Avery's moment to dust.  In order to resurrect the light moment, Cooper and Katie announce their pregnancy.  Everyone seems to be stepping on the others in order to gain a moment in the spot light of the family.  It's like no one has learned the concept of reading the room. 

This is a three star book.  

Thomas Nelson provided the copy I read for this review.  All opinions expressed are solely my own. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment