©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Monday, May 2, 2022

Veil of Winter


Dastardly intrigue, greed, envy, lust (to a small extent), and general meanness populate the plot of this book.  It's a picture of our world today without the presence of Christ.  

Sir Gerard is a man in tune with God who hears a call for help and heeds it.  His sister had received a letter from her friend, Princess Elyce of Montciel, requesting aid to thwart an evil scheme her father has entered into with the king of Valkfeld.  Sir Gerard sees Elyce in a dream and knows that she needs his assistance in breaking this alliance and in fighting the enslavement of her people.  

Melanie Dickerson has taken several fairy tales, fleshed them out into novel-length tales that hearken back to the reader's childhood, but also touches something in the reader's adulthood.  For someone who has loved reading since an early age, I felt this book hit a  lot of notes with my inner child.  

There were times when the plot dragged a bit too much for my liking, but those were few and far between.  The characters were well fleshed-out.  I got particularly perturbed when Elyce's companion, Ysabeau, deserted her in her time of need.  I understood Ysa's motivation, but it still made me a bit mad, nonetheless. 

Four Strong Stars

Thomas Nelson Fiction provided the copy I read for this review.  All opinions expressed are solely my own. 





No comments:

Post a Comment