©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Saturday, September 3, 2022

Cicada Season


I quit reading Amish Fiction for a while because a lot of what I was reading was so syrupy sweet, but this book isn't that way at all.  I have never encountered a protagonist I liked less, but Hannah's chip on her shoulder was hard to overcome.  

Hannah and her family are struggling to keep their farm going since her father died in a tragic accident. Leon Milford has been hired by Hannah's mother to help out around the farm, especially with the apple harvest.  Hannah hates Leon--as much as an Amish person hates.  Her tongue is sharp and she doesn't allow Leon to see a tender side, but for some reason, Leon begins to care for Hannah.  

Leon has his own problems--he has a reputation as a prankster to overcome and Hannah refuses to see that he's grown up.  

This book was hard to read; Mindy Steele has not given her protagonists likable personalities.  Secondary characters are more likable but are underhanded in their actions.  The whole book left me feeling "meh." Two stars. 

Vinspire Publishing, LLC, provided the copy I read for this review.  All opinions expressed are solely my own.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment