©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Friday, September 23, 2022

On My Honor


When I was young and going through elementary school, I wanted to be in the Girl Scouts.  Unfortunately, my mom was teaching in a district 20 miles from where I lived, and my dad worked a semi-swing shift.  I would have no ride home. I also wanted piano lessons, but we didn't have a piano, but that's another story for another time.  😆

"On My Honor" is part of the Girl Scout Pledge that is recited at every meeting and sets the stage for the premise of this Heroines of WWII series.  Ginny has come home right before her last semester of nursing school to help take care of her mother and younger sister. In taking on her younger sister's Girl Scout troop, she begins teaching them the skills they need to be of service during the war, even though they are too young to actively serve in any of the auxiliaries to the military.  

After an oil tanker is torpedoed by a German U-Boat, the girls find a man washed up on the beach from the tanker explosion and take him to the cottage by the lighthouse to treat his wounds and give him a warm place to stay.  Ginny's sister, Belle, ends up stitching a wound in his side, while Clementine, another troop member resets his dislocated shoulder. 

The man, Tim Elliott, had been guarding a German soldier and was taking him to New York because he had vital information about German U-Boat movements.  Tim lost the soldier in the explosion and eventually enlisted the help of Ginny to find the soldier.  With the help of the Girl Scouts under her charge.  

Barbour Books has partnered with quite a few authors to write this series of ordinary women aiding in the homefront during World War II.  These books are always interesting with great plots and relatable characters.  Patty Smith Hall has done a wonderful job in detailing this plot and making it move at a readable pace.  

This is a five star book, two thumbs up, and a crab bake on the beach. 

Barbour Books provided the copy I read for this review. All opinions expressed are solely my own. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment