©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Saturday, September 16, 2023

Capturing Hope


 This book was hard for me to read.  The plot seemed dark and unrelenting and the characters seemed flat to me.  

Nadia Roenne's father tasked David Reid to get her out of Poland and to England safely.  At every turn, Nadia thwarted his attempts to leave the country.  Along the way, she collected all kinds of children, a couple of mothers with the children, and a baby whose mother died shortly after childbirth.  For the baby, she also had to get a goat for the milk to add to the entourage.  Given the chances she had to leave Poland, she gives them up to others and creates more havoc throughout the book.  

I appreciate the work Angela K Couch put into the research for the events in Poland and the difficulties experienced by the Poles at the hands of the Germans.  For me, the book lacked dimension, it seemed to be a retelling of events rather than a cohesive story.  The best part of the story came in at the epilogue when all the bits and pieces got all tied up in a nice, little package. 

I know Barbour Publishing has put a lot of work in bringing this series to its readers.  Overall I love the Heroines of WWII series.  This one felt just a bit off for me.  Three stars

Barbour Publishing did provide the copy I read for this review.  All opinions expressed are solely my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment