©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Friday, July 18, 2014

A Match of Wits

We are glad to have you at our Jen Turano "A Match of Wits" Awards program. It promises to be an entertaining evening.
By the way, have you heard: He who doesn't lose his wits over certain things has no wits to lose.
Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Just remember never to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man!

Presenting our first award are Arabella and Theodore Wilder:

"Theodore, isn't it great to be able to be here tonight? Can you imagine all the events that brought us to this point?"

"Yes, Arabella, but we need to get on with our presentation--the nominees for the best female character in a supporting role are: Drusilla Swanson, Matilda Watson, Cora Watson, Gloria Beckett, and Piper Beckett. And the winner of the female character in a supporting role is Matilda Watson!"

The crowd is hushed as Matilda makes her way to the stage to accept her award. Matilda is elegantly dressed in a new diamond collar and pink silk leash. As she makes her way to the podium, the audience wonders what Matilda will say about how she won her award. Matilda takes her place at the microphone and, . . .

"I am deeply grateful for Agatha Watson Beckett who saved me from that horrible place the hotel manager wanted to send me to, Mrs. Drusilla Swanson, Mr. Francis Blackheart, and Mr. Zayne Beckett who all saw me safely to New York. I never realized until tonight how important my role was; all I was doing was taking care of Agatha, or protecting her. She understands me, loves me, and takes me wherever she goes. She's all a girl like me could hope for. Thank you to the Jan Turano Foundation for this award, and to all the readers who voted for me. I love you all."

As I wait outside to interview Matilda, I hear the crowd going wild because Matilda won her coveted Witty award. Here she comes now.

Matilda may I ask you a couple of questions?

Certainly, dear.

Tell me, Matilda, what drew you to Agatha in the first place?

She's one of the most caring individuals I've ever met, and besides that, she needed me. In fact, she still does--that woman does not know how to stay out of trouble. Did you know someone was after her, trying to kill her? It took all I had to keep her alive, or that miserable man would have succeeded.

Why was "that miserable man," as you called him, trying to kill her?

He thought she was trying to do his job, he was jealous she could do it better, that people liked her more, and that she should be at home taking care of hearth and family.

Aren't those rather shallow reasons for trying to kill someone?

Oh yes, dear, but when someone is out to get another, one reason is as good as any other.

What other role did you fill in Agatha's life?

When she thought Zayne was going to go back to Helena, I was no small comfort to her, and then I was instrumental in getting her together with Zayne at last. It's all a fascinating story, but I've got to run. Agatha is waiting for me.

And there you have it. What's that you say? Didn't I noticed that Matilda was a . . . ? Shhhhhhhhhhh, she doesn't like that word! If you are going to call her a 'P' word, call her Princess. She doesn't like being called a P I G.

Five Stars, Two Thumbs Up, and a small porcine animal to protect you.

This book was provided to me by Bethany House for my honest review. I received no compensation for stating my opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment