©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Angst, Mr Darcy, and Pot Luck Favorites

I chose this book because of its title: Persuasion, Captain Wentworth, and Cracklin' Cornbread. It looked like it would be a fun read. I had no clue what the book would be about, truly, but that didn't matter, the title sounded fun. Mary Jane Hathaway has written a nice book even though it wasn't what I expected.

There are characters in the book who really made me angry because they couldn't see past the ends of their own noses, there are characters I wanted to shake and say, "Wake Up!," and then there are characters that I really came to adore and wished they were real people.

Lucy is trying to keep her family's antebellum plantation home from going into foreclosure but she can't stop her father from overspending or get him to stop her sister's frivolous spending. Lucy's Aunt Olympia has come up with the solution--lease out the servants' quarters to the free clinic of Tupelo, Mississippi, which is a reasonable idea to Lucy. The only catch is that the doctor who will be providing the services in the free clinic is Lucy's old boyfriend, Jem Chevy. Jem is remembered by Lucy's family for bringing a pan of cornbread to a catered affair. He was from "the wrong side of the tracks," and really not seen as fit for Lucy, but now Lucy is old enough to make her own decisions.

In taking care of her family and her home, Lucy has more worries than she can truly manage. When her sister buys a $7000 purse, it is almost more than Lucy can take. In the midst of this Lucy is asked to be in her cousin's Jane Austen wedding where the men will dress like Mr Darcy and the women will dress in Regency Era dresses.

I will say this, in spite of the angst in the book, it is a good read. I really got sucked into the story and ended up staying up way past my bedtime to finish the book. Five Stars, Two Thumbs Up, and a pan of homemade cornbread.

Simon and Schuster provided the book galley to me for my honest review. I was not compensated in any way for my opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment