©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Thursday, May 10, 2018

More Than Meets the Eye

I have loved EVERYTHING I've read by Karen Witemeyer--she writes historical romance with a touch of humor.  She begins her newest book with an orphan train trip trying to place the last four orphans on the train.  When the train derails, and Evangeline's brother dies in the accident protecting her from injury.  There were two other boys on the train who were not chosen and Hamilton makes them promise to take care of Evangeline.  They all decide to take Hamilton's name as their family name.

Fast forward a few years, Evangeline, Seth, and Zach, and they are living in a nice house with a good sized farm.  Logan Fowler buys the plot of land next to their farm with the hope of getting the Hamilton's home back.  It was the home Logan grew up in. 

Evangeline meets Logan when she is out on a jaunt and sees a man throwing a burlap wrapped bundle into the river.  She and Logan rescue the bundle and find Christy, a deaf woman who knows too much.

Karen has wrapped this family's life into a mystery that isn't so mysterious, but she works in the healing between the two families and brings such a satisfying conclusion to the book.  I love the way she writes, it always captures my attention and keeps me involved in the book to the very end.  In fact, this book is More Than Meets the Eye.  I loved Evangeline from the very beginning because of her eye color.  My son's eyes are not the same color and while his eyes don't vary as much as Evangeline's, it is noticeable when he wears certain colors.

Five Stars, Two Thumbs Up, and eye catching eyes. 

Bethany House provided the galley I read through NetGalley with no obligation on my part except to share my honest opinions.  I appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment