©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Monday, May 21, 2018

The Hidden Side

I had a hard time with this book.  One of the plot twists used is a school shooting by a boy who was being bullied by others in the school, and he shoots the worst of the tormentors.  I live thirty minutes from a school where a shooter killed a teacher and two students in 1996.  The young man was fourteen years old at the time and has been sentenced to 189
years. 

I appreciate that Heidi Chiavaroli is willing to take on the hard subjects and to give them the dignity they deserve and brings them into the story seamlessly.

 If I had to rate this book by how much I enjoyed it, I'd have to give it only two stars.  The story with Mercy Howard and Nathan Hale was magnificent. But the story of Natalie, her husband, Maelynn, and Chris leaves me cold. 

If I rate the book by the quality of writing, I'd give her five stars.  Her quality of writing is flawless.  On the whole, I'll give it four stars and call it good.


I received an advanced copy of this novel from the publisher. This review is my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment