©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Christmas in Whispering Pines

When I was young, my mother taught at a small school, the high school had maybe a total of thirty students for grades 9-12.  Every year, the junior and senior classes would each put on a play: a melodrama to be exact.  Melodramas consist of a good guy, a bad guy, a girl who is the prize in the competition between the good guy and the bad guy. 

When I started reading Christmas in Whispering Pines, it reminded quite a bit of those melodramas of my childhood.  The good guy is Clay Hunt, now the pastor of the local church in Whispering Pines.  One of the bad guys is the Langtry sisters' brother, Frank.  The girl caught in the middle is Emma Langtry. 

Clay's former wife and son were shot and killed by a different gang of bad guys.  Emma is an opera singer trying to bring music to the masses and has been on a grand tour of Europe singing.  These events make it a book of finding faith, of right conquering wrong, and love conquering all. 

Scarlett Dunn has done an adequate job in writing this book.  It just read too much like others I've read before.  Three Stars

My thanks to Kensington/Zebra Publishing for allowing me to read and review this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment