©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Behind Love's Wall


I had the hardest time getting into this book.  While it is a time-slip book, it seemed too disjointed for me.  I want you to understand that this is my opinion, not a solid fact.  I've read other Carrie Fancett Pagels books and enjoyed them.  This one was just a miss for me. 

Lily is a singer whose mother is implicated in a fire that took her life.  Lily holds this information close to the vest because of the stigma of her mother being in an asylum.  The man she meets who captures her interest is a psychiatrist, the very kind of person she doesn't want in her life. 

Willa is a great-grandchild to one of the major characters in the book, and is trying to solve the mystery surrounding Lily.  

There are so many convoluted plots in this book that it was hard for me to follow.  Chalk this up to my reading mood, or that time slips are not always my cup of tea, or whatever.  Someone else will enjoy this book immensely and that's great!  It just wasn't for me.  

What's right in the book:

the setting--Mackinac Island, Michigan, and the Grand Hotel.  While I've never been to Michigan, Carrie's descriptions are absolutely fantastic. 

how Carrie deals with the COVID-19 situation. She provides a clear picture of how this pandemic has had an effect on everyone--in work, in travel, in just day to day life. 

I'm not going to NOT recommend this book, but I only give it two stars.  It was just too complicated for me to muddle through. 

Barbour Publishing and NetGalley.com provided the copy I read for this review.  All opinions expressed are solely my own. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment