©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Monday, April 10, 2023

The All American


I had to look through my archives to see if I'd read anything by Susie Finkbeiner and I had read one other book she wrote.  I also found out that I absolutely loved her writing.  Again I am amazed by the way she puts a story together and engrosses the reader from the very first paragraph.  

The All American is a post war, McCarthy era story that takes the reader through the Red Scare of the early 1950s.  It also encompasses the women's professional baseball league and the teams that played throughout Michigan.  Susie also takes the reader on a journey of how people were treated who were falsely accused of being in the Communist Party.  This was an eye opening book to say the least.  

The narrators of the story are two sisters, about four to five years apart in age.  Their individual perspectives bring an element of innocence and wariness both to the tale.  Much of the plot moves by how the girls are affected individually by the false accusations a neighbor levels against her father.  

There are some side characters who lend depth and color to the book and make it all the more endearing. This is a five star book with two thumbs up and a place on the women's baseball (NOT a sissy softball) team.  Susie Finkbeiner writes novels that make her readers think and ponder.  It's a great thing!

The copy I read was supplied by Revell Publishing.  All opinions expressed are solely my own.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment