©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Wednesday, April 19, 2023

This Is Where It Ends


I'm not sure about this book. Is it that the book just wasn't what I was in the mood for when I picked it up to read? Did I not find the story compelling enough? Is the writing substandard?  Yes, Yes, and No.  The first two questions are opinions.  Overall, it was an interesting story, and one that proves the age old wisdom that secrets are never good and harm those who keep them.  

Minerva's story is one that was probably common in the time and place of events. She is married at the age of fourteen and within a couple of months she moves into the mountains of Appalachia. Her husband, Stately, gives her a box to keep hidden and tells her never to say anything about the box to anyone.  

Delano Rankin, or Del, as he preferred to be called, has been put on the trail of the secret box by one of his coworkers.  He is a reporter and believes this box holds a human interest angle that will entice readership. The box is supposed to hold the gold treasure from Stately's employer that he allegedly stole.  

Cindy Sproles does write well.  I appreciated the settings and the characters.  The plot didn't leave me wanting more, but the main characters were likable and believable. Like I said earlier, this book just may have been the wrong book to read for my reading mood.  It happens.  But it will be a great fit for someone else.  Four stars 

Revell Publishing provided the copy I read for this review.  All opinions expressed are solely my own. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment