©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Tuesday, April 25, 2023

The Heart's Choice


Mark is kicking against his father's desire to pass his ranch on to his sister and him in equal shares.  His calling is not in ranching but in keeping the town's library.  His father is livid that he doesn't consider ranching to be the highest work he could do.  

Rebecca is the first female court reporter in Montana and wants to be able to see justice done after she witnessed a murder and the wrongful conviction of an innocent man in that murder.  Since she was just a child when the events happened, she was not considered credible.  So now she has a strong desire to see the justice system work like it is supposed to.  

Kate is Mark's sister and loves nothing more than she loves the ranch and the life it brings.  She is newly married and her husband seems to be as excited as she is about the ranch.  

Tracie Peterson and Kimberley Woodhouse have collaborated to bring this novel in the first of a series taking place in Kalispell, Montana.  The parts I really liked centered around Mark's friendship with Rebecca that grew into a mutual love, the reconciliation between Mark and his father, and Kate's understanding nature. The parts I really didn't like involved the way the authors set up the bad guy in the very beginning of the novel and tried to weave it through the plot lines to create a tension that was supposed to keep the reader involved, but it came off to me as being very predictable and trite.  I normally like the books I've read by Tracie Peterson and the books by Kimberley Woodhouse, but this one fell short of the mark for me.  There are parts that are truly enjoyable and parts I wanted to skip over simply because I felt they added nothing to the plot.  Three stars.  

Bethany House Publishing provided the copy I read for this review.  All opinions expressed are solely my own.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment