©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Friday, May 26, 2023

The Letter Tree


This book seemed hard for me to read.  It was highly predictable and it took a while for it to grab my interest.  I kept threatening to flip to the back halfway through and read the ending before I finished it, but I persevered and plowed through.  That's a rather bleak description of a reading.  The basic premise of the book is a Hatfields-McCoys type feud between rival shoemakers.  And of course, their children fall in love with each other in spite of themselves.  

The book contains the requisite bad guy in the form of a con-man, a bad girl in the form of a socialite,  the heroine who desires nothing more than to get away from her father's bad moods, and the hero who wants to get to the bottom of the feud. 

This book could have been written in epistolary style and lost nothing, but gained a lot.  Frank, the elephant, would still have played a role in the plot, even if the style were changed.  I think Frank was my favorite character in this novel by Rachel Fordham.  I think I've read other novels by Rachel and enjoyed them, but this one was not my favorite.  Still I'll give it four stars because others may like it immensely and think I am a nut bag, but I am an opinionated nut bag 😂.  The only issue with the novel is that the plot moves too slowly and it is predictable. 

Thomas Nelson Fiction provided the copy I read for this review.  All opinions expressed are solely my own.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment