©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Thursday, November 30, 2023

The Hazelbourne Ladiess Motorcycle and Flying Club


I was invited to read and review this book, and I accepted the invitation on the premise that the book would be funny and engaging to read. I've not read a book by Helen Simonson before and thought this would be a great introduction to her writings.  

The novel takes place post World War I and Spanish Flu pandemic.  Constance is occupied with being an old family friend's companion, but soon the friend won't need her and she will need to find a job that pays her.  Her friend, Poppy, wants to start a motorcycle-taxi business with all female drivers and mechanics. And Poppy wants to learn to fly.  Poppy's brother is a veteran of the war and was a flyer in the war, but he lost his leg on one of his missions. This is a story about Poppy taking Constance under her wing and helping her find her way in an ever-changing world.  

I have to say this wasn't my favorite book that I've read this year.  I felt the plot was rather stilted and forced, and I had a hard time wading through the book.  I'd have to say this is a three-star book.  

Random House Publishing Group provided the copy I read for this review.  All opinions expressed are solely my own. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment