©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Tuesday, November 21, 2023

When the Waters Came


 This is not my first foray into reading books by Candice Sue Patterson, but I was particularly disappointed by this offering.  

The plot doesn't really move until significantly deep into the book, instead it reads more like a factual retelling of the events.  I truly had to fight my way through the book and not give up on it.  Once I got past the retelling of events, and the plot lightened up a bit, I somewhat enjoyed it.  

The book details one of the most heart-breaking disasters in United States history--the Johnstown Flood.  The greed, the power, and the personal desires of those who were in control of the upkeep of the dam on the Conemaugh River was outrageous, at the least, and criminal, at most.  One of the gratifying parts of the book was Clara Barton's contribution to help in the aftermath of the flood. 

When the reader finally gets to it, the heart of the plot is the story of Monty and Annamae, but it is quite a slog to get to that part of the novel.  

There are many characters based on real people within the pages of this novel and that brings a bit of charm to the plot.  I once read a book by Catherine Marshall called, Julie, which is about the same events.  I was hoping for this book to be of the same caliber.  It just fell short to me. 

Still, others will like it and I hope my opinion doesn't stop them from reading it.  There is a lot of actual history in this book which is fascinating to read. Still, I give it three stars. 

Barbour Publishing provided the copy I read for this review.  All opinions expressed were solely my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment