©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Sunday, January 10, 2021

Georgana's Secret

 


Georgana is the daughter of a captain of a ship in His Royal Majesty's Admiralty.  She has lived most of her life with her father's abusive mother, but for the last three years, she has been the cabin "boy" on her father's frigate--the HMS Deborah.  There are a few boys on the ship who make life hard for "George," but the new lieutenant on the ship sees something in George and wants to help "him" fit in better by teaching George self-defense.  The more they work together, the more the lieutenant likes "him" and wants to figure him out. 

This is the first book by Arlem Hawks that I've read, and I have to admit that I was intrigued from the very first page all the way through to the end.  I wanted to read ahead and see how things worked out with several of the characters, but I disciplined myself to read straight through.  Georgana's Secret reminds me of a book I've read by Lori Wick, Wings of the Morning.  The time frame is similar and the heroines of the books have many comparable characteristics, and their heroes are analogous in their miens.  Both authors have excellent talent in developing their characters, settings, and plot movements.  This is a five star book, with two thumbs up, and a right hook "like an English cannon." 

Shadow Mountain Publishing and NetGalley.com provided the copy I read for this review. All opinions expressed are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment