©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Thursday, January 21, 2021

The Incredible Winston Browne

 


I think what drew me to try to read this book is that it takes place in the South, a place near and dear to my heart. I tried really hard to get into this book and just couldn't.  Sean Dietrich has a folksy writing style that is easy to read, but for some cause it didn't resonate with me.  

There are two plots in the book that dovetail about halfway through.  One is that of a child being rescued from an abusive cult in Pennsylvania, and the other is small town life in Moab, Florida. When they meet in the middle, the child has been abandoned and for her own safety has been deposited in Moab.  The people draw in the child, fall in love with her,  adopt her into the town and protect her to the best of their abilities. Winston Browne is the sheriff of the town and the leader of the protection unit for the child. He has had a soft spot for the down-and-outers of his town, especially taking interest in the children. 

This book has a lot to offer for people who like the writings of Bailey White and Fannie Flagg (for more contemporary comparisons).  It could be my own reading mood that kept me from liking this book as much as I thought I would, but the things that drew me to this book in the first place still have a lot to offer other readers who will like it.  The writing is high quality; the characters, settings, and plot lines are believable and understandable. Even though I didn't enjoy the book as much as I expected to, I can still give it four stars. 

HarperCollins and NetGalley.com provided the copy I read for this review.  All opinions expressed are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment