©picture by scribbles (Marye McKenney)

Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Under the Magnolias

Under the Magnolias is one of the very best books I've read in a long time.  T I Lowe has put everything but the kitchen sink in the book and all of the conflicts only add to the depth of the plot.  She has dealt with mental illness in one of the characters with dignity and compassion, while at the same time showing how mental illness affects more than just the person who has it--it affects the whole family. 

T I Lowe's writing reminded me of some books I read a long time ago by Bailey White, with a cast of characters that are sure to entertain but touching the heart at the same time. The overarching theme of the book is acceptance, and while the eccentricities of the characters are entertaining, the plot moved me to tears more than once.  

From the time Ox was thirteen years old, she has been holding her family together by the skin of her teeth.  As the second oldest of seven children, the eldest of whom was developmentally delayed, it fell to her shoulders to keep body and soul together for all of the others, especially after her mother died having twins when no one else was at home. She never had the opportunity to just be a kid because she was too busy being an adult.  Her one refuge was the library in town.  She could go to the librarian and ask for books on a specific subject and get all the information she needed. It was the one thing that kept her sanity through the rest of the years as she was growing up.  

 One of the most unforgettable lines and my favorite line in the book was, "I just never figured out how to stop loving you." 

This is a five star book, with two thumbs up, and a Twinkie™ for comfort. 

Tyndale House and NetGalley.com provided the copy I read for this review. All opinions expressed are my own. 

 

1 comment: